Friday, August 2, 2024

An Unexpected Sighting of One of My Books

So I started watching the Apple tv series The Changeling, based on the Victor Lavelle novel, and at the very beginning there is shown a shelf of books in a library in Queens. I always cue in to the titles of books when they show up as props in a film or in a series.  So imagine my surprise to see one of my own books, Tales Before Tolkien, in this shot from The Changeling.

Click on the photo to enlarge
 

 

 

 

 

 

I can recognize a few other titles, like Fiasco (which book of that title is unclear), A Stranger Among Us: Stories of Cross Cultural Collision and ConnectionsThe Other Islands of New York City, a Sidney Sheldon book (I can't discern the title), my book, and Tellers of Tales (presumably the W. Somerset Maugham book, and not the Roger Lancelyn Green one, which is not as thick as the former). If these titles, singly or in toto, are meant to foreshadow anything of the plot, it escapes me. But I enjoyed the diversion.

5 comments:

  1. More likely the books were bought en masse, without regard for titles and attention paid largely to their color and general look on the shelf. My friend Chuck Roberts, owner of Wonder Book and Video, has a strong business in selling books by the foot for movie and theatrical sets.-Still, sometimes thought does go into these background bookshelves.. I remember Chuck once asking me to recommend titles for Hannibal Lecter's library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as if you are damping the happiness the author is experiencing. I think I understand WHY behind the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the visual mention Dr. Anderson. I hope the Tales Before Narnia show up soon.

    ReplyDelete